10 Tips for a Successful Yard Sale
10 Tips to A Successful Garage Sale
2. Advertise, advertise, advertise but don't waste money by advertising in your local newspaper. There are so many ways you can advertise now a days without spending money. The number one way is through Craigslist. You would be shocked at how many yard salers use Craigslist to search sales. The second way is through local Facebook yard sale pages. You can search Facebook for your county and city and post your sale to the page. This will also help attract more people to your sale. When advertising be sure to list what type of items you are selling and especially any big items. Lots of home decor? Vintage items? Tools? List it all!
3. Pick a good location to have your sale. This is an important one. If you can find a house in a neighborhood on a busy street that is best. I live in a very large neighborhood and am on the main street so this def helped contribute to the success of my yard sale.
5. Set up as much stuff as your can ahead of time in the garage. This will really help you out come yard sale morning. I opened my garage door at 7am to find multiple cars parked outside waiting for me to open my doors. Thankfully I already had most of my stuff set up in the garage and all I had to do was move my larger items and items to attract people to the sale outside.
8. Put up readable signs that show your address. Using bright colors helps. Make sure your full address is clearly labeled as well as an arrow to point which way drivers should go. It is best to put signs out the night before your sale. If you use poster board be sure to laminate it if you put it out early in the morning or the night before. I learned the hard way that poster board not being laminate gets wet from dew and curls up so no one is able to see your signs.
9. Have change handy and keep records of what you have made. You will need lots of change. I suggest getting $100 in advance in $10s, $5s, $1s, and quarters. I also suggest writing down the amount purchased as you sell so you can have a running total. On that note it is very important that when you start getting larger bills you take some money inside and lock it up. You would hate for someone to walk away with all your hard earned money!